Let’s be frank here, this is more common than you would think. Maybe it’s happening to you right now. Does your heart skip a beat when he or she walks in the room? Do you get a bit jealous when they bring someone home? If this sounds all too familiar then this could be a BIG issue as fancying your flatmate is a recipe for an impending disaster.
Think about it, you don’t play or fool around with work colleagues so why would you attempt to start a romance with your flatmate? The issues are too numerous to mention but following are some problems that will arise if you have a romantic fling with your flatmate – these are really good flatmate tips so heed them.
- You have to be clear from the outset that if this is a one time only thing then it has to be that way. Having said that, this is rarely the case as feelings can arise. You have to be really careful here as the other flatmate may then turn out to be a crazy psycho that could ruin your life.
- If you have a good flatmate relationship and they are paying rent on time and respecting your space and privacy why would you go and spoil it by ruining the harmony with attempting a fling. Yes you may like them and yes there may be reciprocal feeling but in today’s app obsessed age there are many ways you can meet people.
- If your cravings become too much you may end up stalking them and watch out if you come home after a few too many drinks! Last thing you want to be doing is saying something you’ll regret for a long time. The trick here is to get these feelings out of your head and bury them. A flatmate is a contract living agreement and you don’t want to muddy the waters with any sexual connotations.
- What happens if your flatmate is already is a relationship and you come storming in and wreck the whole thing? Thinks about the ramifications if they give up their long term partner for you and it doesn’t work out. This will end up in all sorts of hot water as you come to terms with wrecking not only the relationship but also a potentially good flatmate arrangement.
- Think also about the financial risks involved. Yes, this is a tough one as the mind can be very powerful when it comes to feelings but remember it’s your wallet at the end of the day that will feel the full force of this. There are really no winners here only losers!
- This is your place and if you end up not liking the flatmate your fancies then you might end up ruining any chances you have of bringing someone else back home. There’s absolutely no way your flatmate who you may have had a fling with, will let you bring anyone else home. It’s not going to happen and the only solution here is to get rid of that flatmate. It’s a bad idea.
Having said all that, if you have been living together for a long period of time and you are both mature enough to discuss this in detail and explore each others feelings then there may be a chance here. However slim this maybe it just may work out. Open lines of communication and dialogue are the only way this will ever work.